New Summer Schedule!

Hello Camp Families,
 
As you know from our prior correspondence, we set the end of May as the time we would decide whether our First Term, beginning June 28, 2020, could go forward.  
 
In making this decision, we have looked at this issue from a seemingly exhaustive number of angles.  We have considered the recommendations, guidelines, and rules of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the American Camp Association (the preeminent governing body for summer camps in the U.S.), and the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources.  We have been in touch with the Office of the Governor of West Virginia and the local Health Department.  We have been in weekly Zoom meetings with several camp directors from across the Mid-Atlantic region and in very close contact with the six other main residential summer camps in West Virginia.  We have also heard from many of you who have been so supportive at such a tough time – thank you for that!
 
Most importantly, we have repeatedly considered the question of whether we could ensure the safety and well-being of all of our campers and staff while they are at camp, and the safety and well-being of their families when they go home at the end of their stay.  As one of my fellow camp directors recently pointed out, we are all about safety, safety, and safety.  It’s practically instinctual – I sometimes find myself, in the middle of September, telling random kids in WalMart not to run because it’s dangerous.    
 
Specifically, we have carefully weighed how face masks, physical distancing, and small groups would work in our environment.  The State of West Virginia has issued some rules with respect to these which are largely incompatible with how any residential summer camp operates.  We, and the other six large residential camps in West Virginia, are hoping for some positive changes in these rules in the near future.  Other questions include what to do in case someone in camp is diagnosed with Covid-19?  What happens if someone shows up on opening day with an elevated temperature?  The questions go on and on.  
 
In light of the restrictions currently in place and the multiple unknowns, and after careful consideration, we have decided that we are unable to begin camp on June 28, 2020.  We know that this will be very upsetting to the campers and staff who were planning to head our way at the end of June.  We also understand that this will be difficult for many of the parents and guardians of these campers.  We truly wish we could make a different decision – it is incredibly upsetting for us as well, as you can imagine.   
 
That being said, we continue to have hope for camp later in the summer!  Our plan is to have two 2-week sessions beginning July 19, 2020, followed by House Party, our family camp.  The sessions are as follows:
 
First Term:  Sunday, July 19, 2020 – Saturday, August 1, 2020 ($2,300.00)
Second Term:  Sunday, August 2, 2020 – Saturday, August 15, 2020 ($2,300.00)
Full Season:  Sunday, July 19, 2020 – Saturday, August 15, 2020 ($3,900.00)
House Party:  Dates in August to be determined (begins August 16, 2020).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

How to Sign Up for Boys Camp & Leadership Academy:  If your camper is already signed up, prior to the date of this message, simply respond to the email you received and complete the included Google form.  If you did not receive the email, send us an email stating as much and we will resend it to you.  You will have the option to move to a new session, roll your camp fee over to 2021, or withdraw and receive a refund.

If you are a new camper, sign up by printing the Camper Application from Camp Forms (under “Families” on the menu bar), fill it out, and return it as an email attachment, or through the regular mail to our Exmore, Virginia address.  At this time, do not include payment with the Application – we will collect payment closer to the opening of your camper’s term.

Campers can sign up for one or both sessions.  Leadership Academy participants can sign up for either First Term or Second Term, but not both.

How to Sign Up for House Party:  Please contact our office at info@campgreenbrier.com or by calling (304) 445-7168 if you are interested in signing up for our family camp.

Final Decision Date:  On or before June 20, 2020, we will decide whether we can begin camp on July 19, 2020 (we originally said that this decision date would be June 15).  If we decide that there can be no camp beginning on July 19, we will decide by July 15, 2020, whether to have camp in August (August session dates would be determined at a later time).

Thank you for your patience through this very challenging time.  And best regards to everyone from the entire Camp Greenbrier family.  We very much hope to see you this summer!

Will Harvie, Director

Summer Schedule Update

Hello Everyone,

We are writing to update you on the camp schedule for this summer.  Before we go into the details, we first want to say that we hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy during this unprecedented pandemic.  We also want to thank all of you for your patience as you wait for decisions about our summer plans.

Despite the uncertainty, we are excited and hopeful for another great Greenbrier summer!  At the same time, we are realistic about the problems and health concerns created by Covid-19.  Rest assured, we will not make any decisions without first considering the health and safety of all of our campers and staff, and their extended families at home.  With that in mind, the plans for BOYS CAMP, the LEADERSHIP ACADEMY, and HOUSE PARTY, are as follows:

Plan A – Regular Schedule:  On or before May 25, 2020, we will decide whether we can have the regularly scheduled First Session (June 28 – July 18, 2020, followed by Second Term and House Party).  If yes, great!  If no, then on to Plan B!

Plan B – 2-Week Sessions Beginning in July:  On or before June 15, 2020, we will decide whether camp can hold two, 2-week sessions, starting on July 19.  First Session would be July 19 – August 1, 2020.  Second Session would be August 2 – August 15, 2020.  And House Party would be August 16 – 30, 2020.  If this can’t happen, on to Plan C!

Plan C – Camp in August: On or before July 15, 2020, we will decide whether camp can be held at any time in August. If the answer to this question is yes, we will also determine the dates for Boys Camp, the Leadership Academy, and House Party by July 15, 2020.

If Plan A can’t happen, Boys Camp families will need to decide whether to sign their camper up for one or both of the Plan B sessions, or withdraw completely.  Leadership Academy families will need to decide whether to sign their camper up for either Plan B, Session 1, or Plan B, Session 2, or withdraw completely.  And House Party guests will need to let us know their new dates, or withdraw completely.

Fees if You Change Sessions.  If you move your camper to a Plan B session, or sessions, the camp fee will be based on the fee you established when you originally signed your camper up, on a prorated weekly basis.  For example, if you signed up in November, 2019, and the camp fee was $3,000.00 for the three-week session, it will be $1,000.00 per week for any Plan B time period ($2,000.00 for two weeks, or $4,000.00 for four weeks).  In this scenario, Leadership Academy participants would also pay $2,000.00 for their 2-week, Plan B session.  If you end up paying too much, because you have moved your camper to a shorter session, refunds will be sent out as soon as possible.  House Party guest fees will not change; they will still be charged at the previously set daily rate.

Fees for Boys Camp and Leadership Academy Withdrawals or if We Are Unable to Have Camp:  If at any time during this process a family decides that they must completely withdraw their camper(s), or if we are unable to have camp (Boo!), there are two options.  First, families can request a full refund.  This will be paid as soon as possible after the request is made.  Second, families can choose to move their camper to the 2021 summer and lock in the fee they would have paid in 2020 for the 2021 summer.  In order to take advantage of the roll over to 2021 savings, the full 2020 camp fee must be paid no later than July 20, 2020 – the reason for this follows.

If our summer is shortened (a very real possibility), or cancelled altogether (let’s hope not but also a possibility), Camp Greenbrier will face a very difficult financial situation.  This situation will be particularly acute if we have to refund everyone’s camp fees and House Party deposits at one time this summer.  As you can imagine, much of our spending in preparation for camp is done long before the summer.  This is why we are offering families the choice to roll their camp fees over to the 2021 summer and paying the 2020 fees in full by July 20, 2020.  This will lock in the 2020 rates for families while also helping us immensely with the financial pressures we are sure to face.  And as always, you can get a full refund for all fees if you withdraw at any time prior to May 1, 2021.

When to Contact Us:  If possible, please wait until after May 25, 2020, to make decisions about changes to Plan B sessions, withdrawals, rolling camp fees over to 2021, or changing House Party dates, if these things are necessary.  Of course, if it can’t wait, it is fine for you to contact us prior to that date about anything.

Thank you again for your patience during this crisis.  We will be in touch with you soon!

Best,

Will & the Camp Family

CAMP GREENBRIER AND CORONAVIRUS 2020

Hello All,

We are touching base about camp for this summer and how it may be affected by the Coronavirus.

First and foremost, however, we want everyone in the camp community to know that we are thinking about you and hoping that you and your families are safe and healthy. It is certainly a challenging time – being separated from friends and family, learning home-schooling on the fly, working from home, or perhaps not working at all, among numerous other challenges. For anyone who has family members or friends who are sick from Covid-19, we are especially thinking of you and hoping for speedy recoveries.

As you can imagine, we, the camp family, have been thinking lots about the plans for this summer. At this point, we feel it would be premature to make any final decisions about the camp schedule. So, for now, we plan to open on the regular schedule, with counselors arriving for orientation on June 21, 2020, and campers arriving a week later, on Sunday, June 28, 2020, for First Term.

We realize that changes to the summer may be necessary depending on a host of factors including the path and timetable of the Coronavirus. In light of this, we will revisit our plans toward the end of April and communicate with everyone our thinking at that time.

Regarding camp fees, know that we will fully refund all payments, including deposits, if campers are unable to attend, or if camp can’t go forward. Also, we will be as flexible as possible with families regarding any new issues that come up due to the extreme situation facing all of us. We will try to help in any way we can.

Camp Greenbrier hasn’t missed a summer since its beginning in 1898 and we are hopeful that this summer will simply be another spectacular adventure with campers paddling on the Greenbrier, shooting archery, and making great friends!

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions or concerns about anything. And again, we hope everyone in your family is well.

Best,

Will & the Camp Family

We had a fantastic summer in 2019.

The boys camp was a wonderful  success with many goals met and lots of new friends made.  The Leadership Academy participants learned a great deal about leadership and took part in numerous exciting activities including AirSoft and White Water Rafting on the New River.  Last but not  least, House  Party – our family camp, enjoyed another happy gathering of old friends and new.  If you were not able to join us during the 2019 summer, we hope to see you next year!  All the best from the camp family.

Spoon on Nose

Spoon on Nose

 

Yesterday was the opening day of 2nd term.  The new campers arrived and are all totally involved with the activities and the daily routine.

Although this may not exactly be routine, it is joyful to first learn how to hang a spoon from your nose.

 

 

 

Putting in the Dock and Slide

The counselors carry the slide sections down the bank and into the Greenbrier
River.  The sections are then attached to each other.
That afternoon, they put the slide together and mounted it on the supports.pre 08
pre 04

 

 

 

pre 11

 

 

 

 

 

Play Day with Camp Alleghany

Playday 1Saturday night was Play Day.  More than 100 girls arrived before dinner to join our Senior Camp boys for and evening of food, fun, and nervousness.  After dining, everyone gathered in the Play Hall for a great dance with our own DJ’s.  As anxious as the campers are in the beginning, the end of the dance is always bittersweet.

 

 

Sunday Night Campfire

Campfire 1Sunday evening is the time for campfire.  Boys can tell jokes, perform in a skit, sing a song, or display their talents.  The show always ends with the telling of a Woofus story.