New Summer Schedule!

Hello Camp Families,
 
As you know from our prior correspondence, we set the end of May as the time we would decide whether our First Term, beginning June 28, 2020, could go forward.  
 
In making this decision, we have looked at this issue from a seemingly exhaustive number of angles.  We have considered the recommendations, guidelines, and rules of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the American Camp Association (the preeminent governing body for summer camps in the U.S.), and the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources.  We have been in touch with the Office of the Governor of West Virginia and the local Health Department.  We have been in weekly Zoom meetings with several camp directors from across the Mid-Atlantic region and in very close contact with the six other main residential summer camps in West Virginia.  We have also heard from many of you who have been so supportive at such a tough time – thank you for that!
 
Most importantly, we have repeatedly considered the question of whether we could ensure the safety and well-being of all of our campers and staff while they are at camp, and the safety and well-being of their families when they go home at the end of their stay.  As one of my fellow camp directors recently pointed out, we are all about safety, safety, and safety.  It’s practically instinctual – I sometimes find myself, in the middle of September, telling random kids in WalMart not to run because it’s dangerous.    
 
Specifically, we have carefully weighed how face masks, physical distancing, and small groups would work in our environment.  The State of West Virginia has issued some rules with respect to these which are largely incompatible with how any residential summer camp operates.  We, and the other six large residential camps in West Virginia, are hoping for some positive changes in these rules in the near future.  Other questions include what to do in case someone in camp is diagnosed with Covid-19?  What happens if someone shows up on opening day with an elevated temperature?  The questions go on and on.  
 
In light of the restrictions currently in place and the multiple unknowns, and after careful consideration, we have decided that we are unable to begin camp on June 28, 2020.  We know that this will be very upsetting to the campers and staff who were planning to head our way at the end of June.  We also understand that this will be difficult for many of the parents and guardians of these campers.  We truly wish we could make a different decision – it is incredibly upsetting for us as well, as you can imagine.   
 
That being said, we continue to have hope for camp later in the summer!  Our plan is to have two 2-week sessions beginning July 19, 2020, followed by House Party, our family camp.  The sessions are as follows:
 
First Term:  Sunday, July 19, 2020 – Saturday, August 1, 2020 ($2,300.00)
Second Term:  Sunday, August 2, 2020 – Saturday, August 15, 2020 ($2,300.00)
Full Season:  Sunday, July 19, 2020 – Saturday, August 15, 2020 ($3,900.00)
House Party:  Dates in August to be determined (begins August 16, 2020).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

How to Sign Up for Boys Camp & Leadership Academy:  If your camper is already signed up, prior to the date of this message, simply respond to the email you received and complete the included Google form.  If you did not receive the email, send us an email stating as much and we will resend it to you.  You will have the option to move to a new session, roll your camp fee over to 2021, or withdraw and receive a refund.

If you are a new camper, sign up by printing the Camper Application from Camp Forms (under “Families” on the menu bar), fill it out, and return it as an email attachment, or through the regular mail to our Exmore, Virginia address.  At this time, do not include payment with the Application – we will collect payment closer to the opening of your camper’s term.

Campers can sign up for one or both sessions.  Leadership Academy participants can sign up for either First Term or Second Term, but not both.

How to Sign Up for House Party:  Please contact our office at info@campgreenbrier.com or by calling (304) 445-7168 if you are interested in signing up for our family camp.

Final Decision Date:  On or before June 20, 2020, we will decide whether we can begin camp on July 19, 2020 (we originally said that this decision date would be June 15).  If we decide that there can be no camp beginning on July 19, we will decide by July 15, 2020, whether to have camp in August (August session dates would be determined at a later time).

Thank you for your patience through this very challenging time.  And best regards to everyone from the entire Camp Greenbrier family.  We very much hope to see you this summer!

Will Harvie, Director
© Camp Greenbrier, All Rights Reserved 2020